Leadership is an essential aspect of Rotary—and we offer both clubs and programs to help emerging leaders develop their skills. Through these groups, participants strengthen their leadership skills, serve their communities, increase their world understanding, build friendships, and more. The Rotary eClub of Arizona is proud to sponsor participants to RYLA. If you have an interest, please review the application information below and decide if this experience will enhance your life. We believe it will transform you into the next great leader our world so desperately needs.
How is RYLA organized?
RYLA is a program of Rotary International (RI), the world’s oldest service club organization. RI is made up of almost 32,000 clubs located in more than 165 countries around the world. Its members form a global network of business and professional leaders, men, and women, who volunteer their time and talents to serve their communities and the world.
Rotary’s motto, Service Above Self, exemplifies the humanitarian spirit of the organization’s more than 1.2 million members.
Rotary clubs are organized within more than 500 R.I. districts worldwide, many of which sponsor their own RYLA programs. District 5490, the “Grand Canyon District,” incorporates 42 rotary clubs located in northwest Arizona, ranging from Phoenix to the Colorado River,Lake Havasu & Bullhead Cities, Kingman, Williams, Grand Canyon, Sedona, Verde Valley and the Prescott area.
- Fundamentals of Leadership
- Ethics and Leadership
- Importance of communication skills in effective Leadership
- Problem-solving and Conflict Management
- Rotary’s purpose and service to the community
- Building self-confidence and self-esteem
- Elements of community and global citizenship
WHAT IS EXPECTED OF A DELEGATE?
You will be expected to:
- Spend the full and entire weekend at RYLA;
- Participate in all activities, showing the best of your leadership skills, with a good attitude and open mind;
- Follow the easy rules of Camp Pinerock;
- Visit your sponsoring Rotary Club after RYLA and make a short presentation on what you gained by attending;
- Have fun and enjoy yourself!
HOW MUCH DOES RYLA COST?
NOTHING! Local Rotary Clubs sponsor each delegate. The cost for the full weekend’s program, including accommodation and catering, is sponsored by the local Rotary Clubs. There is no need to bring money with you for the weekend. There is nowhere to spend it.
HOW CAN I APPLY?
Complete directions are included on the Delegates page.
WHERE IS MY LOCAL ROTARY CLUB
http://portal.clubrunner.ca/50016/ClubDirectory to find your nearest Rotary Club – via the District 5490 website
WHAT ARE THE ACCOMODATIONS LIKE?
Our RYLA event is held at Camp Pinerock in Prescott Arizona. A link is included or goes to www.camppinerock.org The rooms are in various buildings with shared bath facilities and sleeping rooms.
Girls and boys are in separate facilities.
There are generally four bunks per room with a communal toilet, shower and washroom for each floor or in some cases, facilities shared between rooms.
You will need a sleeping bag. See the section on what to bring.
WHAT TO PACK FOR THE WEEKEND?
RYLA is an activity weekend, and consequently designer clothes and jewelry should be left at home.
You will need to prepare for both indoor and outdoor activities (including possible snow conditions), and the suggested RYLA guidelines will be helpful when deciding what to pack for the weekend.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
RYLA is for outstanding high school students in their sophomore and junior years. They will be delegates who possess a high degree of positive leadership potential. They are young adults who are motivated to experience new challenges and take responsibility to create positive actions.
RYLA delegates are recommended by their school, other organizations and chosen by the sponsoring Rotary Club. RYLA delegates must be in good health and have proper insurance coverage. Delegates must be willing to participate in Family meetings prior to RYLA and they must agree to fulfill the complete
- You will enjoy a weekend where you will learn more than you can ever imagine and you will not even realize it because you are having so much fun!
- You will Lose and find yourself at the same time!
- RYLA is presented at Camp Pinerock in Prescott, AZ and facilitated by the Rotarians of Rotary District 5490.
- This outstanding event brings out leadership skills in individuals through team building concepts and outdoor-based activities that include trust building exercises, problem-solving initiatives, and low and high challenge course experiences.
- Our delegates say that this life-changing experience builds inner strength and lasting friendships!
- Sometimes it takes the great outdoors to find your inner strength.
HOW DOES RYLA WORK?
Each year, thousands of young people take part in the Rotary Youth Leadership Awards (RYLA) program worldwide.
High School Sophomores & Juniors are selected for their leadership abilities and experiences. Rotary Clubs conduct individual interviews and select award winners (delegates) to attend the four-day event. The Rotary clubs pay all expenses for the delegates weekend.
Those attending will reinforce their leadership abilities & skills, utilize new methods, learn about their inner selves through a well-rounded exciting,stimulating and busy program. Activities vary from swinging from trees to exploring your own personality while meeting new friends of all ages and backgrounds.
Rotary Youth Exchange students from around the world are in each group to share their culture, background and knowledge. Rotarians and invited presenters coordinate the day and evening sessions. This is an interactive experiential program with challenges,sharing and increasing individual knowledge.
Our RYLA weekend will give each delegate to expand their leadership capabilities. It encourages leadership of youth by youth. Delegates exceed their expectations through increased self confidence and group support. Delegates are leaders and followers and gain knowledge of how to apply their skills in each area.
How do I apply as a Student Delegate?
If you are in your sophomore junior year of high school you may apply for the District 5490 RYLA program. (Freshmen/Seniors may apply, but priority is to Soph/Jr applicants). PLEASE NOTE: APPLICATIONS CLOSE ON OCTOBER 31ST NO FURTHER STUDENT/DELEGATE APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED AFTER THAT DATE. Applications close 9:00 PM.
To apply, please do the following:
- You MUST apply online. Go to the student/delegate application link on this website. Complete BOTH THE STUDENT APPLICATION AND THE STUDENT HEALTH FORM.
- Make sure to attach a current JPG picture where indicated, labeled with YOUR name. Please submit a picture only of yourself…. Not a picture of you with your friends, neighbors, etc.
- You should receive an email copy of both your completed application and health form. PLEASE save this for possible future reference.
- A Sponsoring Rotary Club Representative will notify you of the time and place of your mandatory RYLA selection interview, typically sometime in November or December.
- Following your interview, applicants selected to attend RYLA and applicants selected as alternates will be notified in writing via email by their sponsoring Rotary Club of their selection status. Please respond to your email in a timely manner; if you do not respond, we will assume you are no longer interested in being RYLA Delegate applicant.
- If you are selected to attend RYLA, commitment for the entire four day/ three night event is mandatory. Hit the FAQs for additional information, ie transportation, what to bring, etc.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If for some reason you DO NOT receive a copy of either your application or your health form via email; please notify the Registrar for assistance. ASAP.